Why Study Literature?
1. To benefit from the insight of others.
2. To open our minds to ambiguities of meaning.
3. To explore other cultures and beliefs.
4. To appreciate why individuals are the way they are.
5. To expand our grasp of the machinations of history.
6. To exercise our brains.
7. To teach us to see individual bias.
8. To encourage us to question "accepted" knowledge.
9. To help us see ourselves as others do.
10. To appreciate the contributions literature has made to history.
11. To see the tragedy.
12. To further our mastery of language.
13. To recognize language devices and appreciate their emotional power.
14. To explore ethical complexities.
15. To see the admirable in everyday life.
16. To learn better ways to behave.
17. To know we aren't alone.
18. To refine our judgment.
19. To learn to support our points of view and trust our own interpretations.
20. To develop empathy for those who are unlike us.
21. To expand our vocabularies.